Cora

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Hank's 1st Birthday!

Wow, it's been a crazy week!! Birthdays, sickness, car being towed, husband starting new job… I'm finally able to post about our sweet boy's 1st birthday party last Saturday! When you're named Hank, obviously everything has to be cowboy themed, so we did it up cowboy style for Hank's 1st birthday! You won't notice many smiles in these pictures, though, because we later found out that our little cowboy was sick with an upper respiratory infection and the Roseola virus! Poor guy. :( We still had a great time, though, and are so thankful for our friends and family who joined us to celebrate!


I have to start with this cake. I mean, come on now. Is this not the cutest cake you've ever seen!? The baker came highly recommended from the wife of one of Jacob's professors, and I literally cried when she brought it in the door. (I was emotional the whole weekend anyway, but this cake was so beautiful! Haha. And side note: those boots are made out of Rice Krispies Treats!)



Here is our tablescape! I wish I had gotten some better photos, but I was so stressed about the weather forecast that I was running around like a crazy person! Ha!



Here was our menu…. :)

Menu
"Cow Patties" - Chocolate peanut butter oatmeal no-bake cookies
"Haystacks" - Butterscotch haystack cookies
"Cowboy Caviar" - a homemade salsa-type dip, served with tortilla chips! Here is the recipe I used.
"Cowboy chow" - a chili-type dish, made with stuff like beans, corn, smoked sausage, BBQ sauce… sounds weird but it's delish! I'll post the recipe sometime! 
"Cow Tails" - Cow Tales candy

We also had a "Waterin' Hole" (sweet tea and lemonade), served food with "pitchforks" (forks), and of course had birthday cake, which was DELICIOUS!


We had red and cow print balloons, and I tied them with long strings of twine for a backdrop! (You can't see it here because it's so bright!)


My mother-in-law found me a vintage Jenny Lind highchair, and I made a highchair banner and birthday hat for Hank to go with it! My MIL also made the super cute bunting that we hung on the fence outside! 


I was praying all morning that it wouldn't rain! 1) Because there was no way that everyone we invited would fit in the house. Lol! And 2) Because I worked really hard on these yard games! In case you didn't know, corn hole boards are VERY expensive… so I decided to do some handmade entertainment!  We had a farm animal Bean Bag Toss, Lasso the Pony, "There's a Snake In My Boot," and a head-in-the-hole sign! Hank also got a slide from his grandparents, so that brought lots of entertainment, too!


Hank with 3 of his cousins who came all the way from Wisconsin and Virginia to celebrate with us! 
(Hank would normally be smiling with the rest of them! Ha!)

Our sweet cowboy!











1 comment:

  1. CUTEST BIRTHDAY PARTY EVER!!!! I loved how everything tied in with the cowboy theme--like the food. OMG I died when I read the names of the foods. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete